Well, there are certain things which are worse than watching your baby struggling for their life.
Kirsti Clark is a Scottish mother who is 28 years old and her husband, Christopher Clark who is 29 years old. This couple had decided to take their little daughters for a day out. Malena is 3 years old and little Harper is only three weeks old. However, this day has been one of the evilest days that they ever face.
However, they had a very long journey due to traffic. After a while, Harper laid down on her play mat, they realized that something was wrong. Parents saw that Harper’s lips had turned blue, her jaw was clenched and white foam was frothing from her mouth and nose. Kirsti has a notice for all parents.
4th of April should have been a perfect family outing for Kirsti and Christopher. The couple was planned to set out at 2:30 PM for an afternoon of shopping with their two young daughters.
At around 6:30 PM they left for home. The journey took 1 hour and 45 minutes, with Harper strapped into her car seat as usual. When they got in, the three-week-old spent another 15 minutes in her seat as Kirsti and Christopher put Malena to bed.
At around 6.30pm they set off on the drive home which took around an hour and 45 minutes, and Harper spent a further 15 minutes in her car seat while Kirsti and Christopher got Malena into bed.
Next, the couple took harper from her car seat and they realized certain terrifying symptoms, therefore, they took Harper to the hospital immediately.
According to daily mail “When we got home it was way past Malena’s bedtime so brought Harper in her car seat and she stayed in there for 15 minutes as we got Malena into bed,” Kirsti said
“My husband got Harper out and put her on his knee but she looked like she couldn’t get comfy so he laid her down on her mat and she was kicking about.
“I told him her lips looked blue and then he pointed out how red her cheeks were. He picked her up and I could tell straight away from his face that something was wrong.”
Kirsti had a state of mind that she would lose her baby, however, doctors were able to save Harper. Medical professionals warned that when babies spend more than an hour in a car seat are at risk of suffering from oxygen deprivation. Therefore, Harper had suffered a seizure as a result of her oxygen levels plummeting. When the babies laid upon the floor, the quick increase of oxygen caused them to be fit.
“When the consultant told us it was the car seat I couldn’t believe it. I thought ‘there’s no way’. I couldn’t understand why nobody had ever told us. Kirsti said
“We had obviously heard about not keeping babies in car seats overnight because it causes curvature of the spine but not about anything like this.
“When my wee girl was a baby we did four-hour drives down to visit family in Cornwall and we had never had any problems at all.
“The doctors did tell us in the hospital that it is usually a concern with premature babies but Harper is a big girl. She was 8lb 5oz when she was born and she’s 8lb 9oz now.
“After we got my head around that being the reason, Christopher and I felt so angry at ourselves – we felt like we did this to our baby. It was horrendous.
“But we’ve spoken to so many people and they had never heard about it either and then some people have conflicting opinions on the time.
“That’s why we knew we had to share what happened to Harper because parents need to know. Just two hours in a car seat and we could have lost her, it’s terrifying.
“I would tell every parent to just really carefully watch their babies and if they don’t absolutely need to be in the car seat take them out because it is not worth what we had to go through.
“Watch your baby and know your baby. If something doesn’t seem quite right take them straight to the hospital.”
Isn’t it scary to think about what had happened to their little daughter? and that can happen to anyone. She understood that there are other parents out there who are not on alert of the dangers of spending time at the car seat for a lengthy amount of time.
Kirsti felt like she needs to share the disturbing incident with the rest of the parents. Therefore, they escape from doing the same mistake.
Do you think that this information can help save a life? Therefore, please share it with your family and friends.